www.flickr.com

Friday, October 28, 2005

Of eyebrows, eyelashes and hair

The eyebrows and eyelashes are starting to grow back in. I actually wasn't missing them for too long. They really finished following out after my last Taxol treatment on September 12. It is spooky because they all fall out from the roots so there isn't even a shadow of them left like if you shave. Having dark hair, it was strange for me to look in the mirror at the eyes that were now white rimmed instead of black where the eyelashes had once been. It gave them a spooky, bug-eyed look. The forehead looked overly large since the missing eyebrows left no trace and the eyes looked even more bug-eyed.

The eyelashes are now little, short, spiky things that can't even be picked up on a mascara brush yet. However, they have grown in enough to give me the black outline around my eyes instead of the ghostly, pale rim.

The eyebrows are all growing in at once and look like dirt smeared above my eyes. Still, it is beginning to look like I am returning from the alien back into the world of human beings.

As for the other hair, my leg hair started growing back with a vengeance. Wasted no time at all. Under my arms......hmmm........looks like something but not sure. Could have something to do with radiation. And down there, just starting with a prickliness that makes my underpants stick to me which is why some of you may have seen me walk a little funny - besides the balance thing which is a whole other story.

Oh, I forgot the most obvious, the hair on my head. Well that continues to grow out like a fuzzy sheepskin, although without the "odour" which Rich reported you get when petting a sheep. It is interesting to watch and see the widows' peak, swirls and hair direction as it grows out. The last time this happened was when I was too small to remember or, since I was born with a full head of hair, perhaps in the womb. Anyway, it is a daily fascination not at all unsimilar to watching the grass grow.

Not sure what the color will be yet. The wooly, Taxol silver is still all too obvious although most people still kindly call it blond. The Oncologist (Dr. Boohar) says that she sees a dark, reddish brown and thinks it will be that color. There is a dark lower layer to what has grown in but still hard to tell what the finished product will be. Not to worry, there is always hair dye to fix any unwanted colors!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home