www.flickr.com

Friday, August 17, 2007

My Birthday!!!!!

We'll take a little break from the trip now to report on a very important event, my birthday! But first, a little side note.

Having visited my sister's house last weekend, I noticed that her puppy was drinking water out of a "doggie bistro". It looks like a sparklett's cooler for dogs. A little water bottle sits upside down on a special bowl and dispenses water for the dogs as they need it. I thought this was a great idea since my two dogs drink a lot of water and I am constantly filling their bowl and worrying that they may not have water in the daytime so I went out and bought the large, 5 gallon version for them.

After filling the bottle with water, turning it over and only spilling it a little as I tried to get it situated in the bowl, it was ready to go. The dogs, however, weren't so ready. They didn't know what to make of it, especially when it let out its loud "burps" as the air moved through the water and the water re-settled. After a few hours, they were convinced to try it out. Although still not thrilled with it, they are using it since there is nothing else for them to drink from.

Now, on to the birthday. Yesterday was my birthday - a day that I share with both Madonna's birth and Elvis' death. The day actually started the weekend before with a lovely note and little handblown glass vase (purple and yellow) from Lorraine. I was on my way. Next came a doggie card and singing e-greetings from my friend, Kathy. And, on the eve, a visit from Dad with a card and gift and flowers from him and Mom.

I decided to work this year on my birthday although I usually take it off. But first, checking e-mail saw a Happy Birthday message from my sil. At work, I received my first phone call, from my brother, wishing me Happy Birthday. My cell phone happened to ring while I was standing in the bosses cube (boss for this assignment) and I answered it since she was fiddling on the computer at the time. Afterword, I apologized, letting her know that it was my birthday and that was why I got the call. She immediately came alert and said, "no way. show me your driver's license. are you joking?" and other such phrases. I was confused and asked her if there was something wrong with me having my birthday yesterday. She looked at me and told me that it was her birthday! What a surprise! We were even born 12 years apart and are both year of the Dog!

3 of our co-workers took us out for a nice sushi lunch and then it was back to work for the afternoon. Another e-mail came in from my other sil as well as another e-greeting from my same girlfriend - a singing cowboy - hilarious! I would have sworn that she read my installment on Wyoming but she didn't and doesn't even know the story.

By 5:15, I had had enough of work and headed home. Got a real kick out of the vm my sister left on the phone singing happy birthday! The girls declined to join her so she was left doing it alone. It still brings a smile to my face.

My friend Diane met me after work and we went for a quick drink at Medio de Bodeguita (I think) - a hopping bar with some really cute guys hanging around. She had a mojito and I had my tequila and grapefruit (with a nod to Lorraine for introducing me to this unique combination years ago). Then, we were off to Bistro Elan for the yummiest of dinners. I had flatiron steak with heirloom tomatoes and the crispiest of french fries. The bread was delicious, too. Diane had a yummy Duck confit. We topped it off with a half bottle of Pinot Noir from the Arroyo Grande area of California that was wonderful. It was even served in the correctly large Pinot Noir glasses. For dessert, we split 3 tiny beignets with a flavored heavy cream and dark chocolate - so yummy that I was regretting the decision to split it. The maitre d' even brought it himself with a lit candle stuck in one of the beignets! A yummy dinner which I would highly recommend. Over my protests, Diane paid - my birthday treat! Thanks Diane!

I headed home to my good doggies - content with my low-key but happy birthday.

Today, I am off to the surgeon's for my semi-yearly check up and then back to work. The next post will bring us back to South Dakota for the next installment of the vacation trip.

Have a great day!

1 Comments:

At 3:51 AM, Blogger snarfdog said...

So that's where you were. I actually called several times to see if we could take you to dinner. Oh well. I still have a gift for you, so you'll have to come get it sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home