www.flickr.com

Monday, June 25, 2007

not even 9:00 and has been quite a day

This morning was one of those mornings. The weekend was beautiful and active, as usual. I continued to work on the yard and am starting to see some progress. The ripping out and re-planting of the front planter area went well and looks beautiful- lighter, airier and more colorful. Just have to keep the watering schedule until all of these drought resistant plants get themselves established - about 1 year.

Saturday, I paddled with the team and we had a nice practice - lots of long paddles to try to build our strength and coordination. No more caterpillaring in races. :) We were to meet up with the coach for lunch afterwords but a car squished its way in between us on the way to the restaurant and then we hit a red light and coach was gone - she had no place to pull over and wait since we were on an overpass. After about 20 minutes of driving up and down El Camino, we decided to have a look into one place that seemed likely and, luckily, she was there! After lunch, I headed home where some wine, popcorn and a movie topped off the day.

Sunday, started off with a nice vigorous yoga practice. I was feeling strong and made it through all 12 sun salutations without a break. Didn't make it through the rest of the practice without breaking but that was okay. Making it through the sun salutations was a big step back to wellness for me. After practice, I shopped the farmers market - had a yummy strawberry, apricot, peach crepe, bought vegetables and yummy chocolate and some herbs to plant along the front walk (African Basil, Multi-colored peppers and golden thyme). Once home, I started to work again on the garden. The first order of business was to pull out the plants along the front walk and prepare the dirt. Fortunately, I still have mulch left from the 3 yards delivered for the front yard. The plants were all put in and fit perfectly into the space. I trimmed up the other plants along the porch and headed for the backyard. That was a much harder chore. I wanted to get the weeds cleared out along the back fence so that I could fill in with the dirt/mulch and bring the ground back up even again that had been sinking into my neighbors backyard. Their year is lower than mine and when the fence was put up, no proper retaining wall was built so my yard constantly sinks into theirs causing my slate slabs to slip and break. The back of the pine tree went fine and I was able to clear it quickly and refill with the dirt mulch. There was such a nice little space in back that I decided to get an azalea plant to put back there. I love azaleas and have been told they like shade and my yard is too sunny. Well, there was a nice shady place behind the pine tree. I hope it does well. Next came the front of the pine tree and the rest of the back fence. That was a nightmare. Somehow, the weeds were actually grass and had the same intertwined, matted rooting of a lawn. They were nearly impossible to pull and I ended up having to get a shovel and dig them out, causing dirt to get into the leaf bin and make it very heavy. There was also an anthill somewhere in that area and I was soon covered in ants. ugh! I grabbed the hose and rinsed off before they could get too invasive.

9 hours later, I was tired, dirty and a little sunburnt but the area around the pine tree was cleaned out, filled in and mulched. I also managed to clean out and fill in a little area by the back fence but still have about 20 feet more to go. Unfortunately, the leaf bin is full and I have to wait another week before it will be emptied. Yards are really a lot of work. Needless to say, my house is still horribly neglected with dog fur and dust all around. The kitchen is fairly clean since I do get the dishes done and counters wiped. I seriously need a good maid.

Anyway, I would say that the yard still needs at least 5 more weeks worth of hard work before it is back in shape. I have a good gardener helping out but, unfortunately, after Smokey's panic attack took out part of the fence, the backyard is too blocked off for him to get into unless I am there.

Well, I have certainly drifted from my original topic which was the events of this morning. After a fairly good night's sleep, I was awakened way too early by Smokey Bear when something panicked him this morning. No damage done but I had to get up to make sure he was okay. Afterwards, I went back to bed, only to oversleep. After checking all of the plants and feeding the dogs, I made my lunch and ate my breakfast, took a shower and proceeded to try to put my contacts in. For some reason, my eyes were not cooperative this morning. After 4 or 5 attempts at getting the first contact in, I dropped it on the floor and had to write it off - couldn't even find it. I opened another one and after another 4 or 5 attempts and a good round of cursing, it finally went in. The second one was no easier. This all delayed me another good 20 minutes.

After getting dressed and thinking that things were getting better, I grabbed my purse, lunch and portfolio only to find that I had no car keys. I thought back to the last time I drove the car and my steps since then. Finally, about 15 minutes later, I found them in my pants pocket. By this time, I was nearly an hour late. I hopped in the car and took off. Fortunately, the traffic was fairly light and I made good time. Getting better, I thought.

I got to work and..........no badge! Some places this is not a big deal but, here, it is. I searched the car because I usually leave it in the console - no badge, searched my purse - no badge. Finally, another 15 minutes later, I had to give up and go get a temporary. And, here I am, at the assignment from hell, at last. I wonder if my subconscious was saving me from having to face this this morning? Well, it delayed me, but, I am here and better go now to see if I can get through it and make some progress today. Only 4 more days after this.

Oh, but first, across the street to Starbuck's for a coffee! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home