www.flickr.com

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Seeing the surgeon and future plans

On Friday, I went to see my favorite doctor and surgeon. She checked out my port and then did a complete exam on my breast and scar. All was well. She told me that I could start thinking about reconstruction now - yeah! and helped me set a plan. I will go back to see her in February and she will check my mammogram and we will decide if an ultrasound and MRI are needed for the other breast. She will do another complete diagnosis on the other breast just to make sure that there is no cancer there before I do the reconstruction. I am so thrilled with her plan and always feel safe when she is managing my care.

She gave me a sheet for the mammogram and I didn't know what to do with it. I asked her if I should just call myself and schedule an appt and she said yes and that I am just starting the new procedures for breast cancer patients and that I would get used to it. Instead of the doctor, I schedule the mammogram and take in the sheet before I see her so that when I see her, she will already have the results. From now, I will start to see her every 6 months and have a mammogram once a year.

I am supposed to contact my plastic surgeon after the first of the year to start scheduling plastic surgery since it is a long procedure - about 5 -6 hours- and takes a couple of months to schedule the OR. My reconstruction should take place about May if all goes well and if he doesn't decide it has to wait for the Herceptin to end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home