www.flickr.com

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Clutter, Dogs and Dentists

What do the top three topics have in common. Nothing really. Just happens that they "happened" in my life today.

Lets start with the dentist. Today, I had four "fillings" done. Two molars that have cracks since my childhood that make it difficult to brush bacteria out of. Not your usual cavity which is a hole made by decay. This is a pre-existing hole that decay got into. The other two "fillings" were actually add-ons to my canines. It seems that my biting and blood-sucking got out of control. jk. Apparently, I was grinding my teeth and the poor canines were ground down flat instead of pointy as they should be. Why is this important? They were not doing there job and keeping my jaw in the right place so the jawbone started to wear down which can lead to all sorts of other problems. Anyway, I have a nice pointy canine on the right side and a little less pointy one on the left side now. And that was the trip to the dentist. Now I sit here with my numb mouth and tongue writing in my blog.

Next topic - clutter. Thank you Wen for visiting my blog and making a comment so that I had a chance to visit your blog - declutterbug. As all of my (1, 2?) readers know, I have been fighting the clutter demon in my house and particularly my study. Some of my various bouts have been chronicled here under "letting go". From friends' and reader's verbal comments, I have learned that I am not alone in this battle. Most people have that room, garage, attic or other space they are searching to declutter. For those of you with that challenge (opportunity?), take a look at Wen's website. You will see it right over there to your right under my connections. The Monday, Feb 27, 2006 entry is particularly funny. Here is an excerpt:

Pet Hair - Explain the mound of pet hair brushed up against
the doorways by claiming you are collecting it there to use for
stuffing hand-sewn play animals for underprivileged
children. (Also keeps out cold drafts in winter.)

Dusting - If dusting is REALLY out of control, simply place
a showy urn on the coffee table and insist that "This is
where Grandma wanted us to scatter her ashes."

Click on the link to the right for more "Decluttering" wisdom.

And finally, dogs. I love my dogs. You all know this. I even volunteer at the shelter to help out other dogs. As with most dog owners, I occasionally have challenges with my dogs, particularly Thomas who has a social impediment when it comes to other dogs. He has been to training without much luck. TIVO mentioned in their e-mailer that the dogwhisperer on the National Geographic Channel was becoming very popular. I started to TIVO and watch the show and that is how I became "acquainted" with the wonderful Cesar Millan. I love his philosophy:

"Cesar does not train dogs in the sense of teaching commands like “sit,” “stay,” or “heel”? he rehabilitates unbalanced dogs and helps “re-train” their owners to better understand how to see the world through a dog’s eyes. Cesar counsels people on how to calmly, assertively, and consistently establish boundaries and prove to their dogs that they are solid pack leaders; this helps to correct and control unwanted behavior. He doesn’t believe in “quick fixes,” even though changing some behaviors can appear to happen in a relatively short time. None of those changes will stick, however, unless the owners work consistently with their dogs. Cesar uses a stern voice and a calm, assertive touch to correct unwanted behaviors. In his opinion, rehabilitation never involves yelling or hitting a dog."

I have applied some of his leadership techniques to Thomas and seen a vast improvement in his relationship with other dogs and his behaviour in general although I am still working on his bad habit of jumping on visitors when they first enter my home. Anyway, I have become a big fan and am even going to see Cesar at a seminar in August. I am so excited. You can read his blog by clicking on the link to your right over there under my connections.

That is about all for today. It is sunny so I am going to try a little gardening. More decluttering! Weeds! :)

Oh yeah and speaking of letting go, goodbye to:

14 pairs of shoes
12 pairs of pants
1 skirt
16 sweaters
1 long sweater jacket
2 dresses including one that I wore on a date 23 years ago!
2 pairs of jeans
8 pairs of shorts
1 red plaid lumberjack jacket (never worn - not my style - a gift from our Canadian sales team when I worked at NAI)
12 bras (3 new and never worn -still with tags on)
11 pairs of panties
6 pairs of new socks - never worn - still with tags
1 pair of new nylons
7 assorted pieces of yoga/workout clothing

All went to the Career Closet - a center for underprivileged women needing interview clothes. The center also clothed survivors of hurricane Katrina and sell the non-interview clothing for $1 each to raise funds to support the center. All of the above were good condition and have now found a much better home where they won't suffer the neglect they did at my home.

And lest you worry that I will now be running around naked, not a chance. There are still many more clothes in my closets and drawers - oh how fun shopping was when I was working and had the money for it! I have only had to buy one new pair of pants and one shirt in the last year and a half. In fact, I am sure that, after another round of letting go (including letting go of these 10 lbs that have been holding tightly to my waist and hips), Career Closet will be blessed with another donation. On the bright side, I can say, "thank goodness I shopped in the good times so that I would have something to wear now, in the rainy days of my life".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home