www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Catch up

May 2nd. Where does the time go? The last couple of days have been packed with their usual activity.

Sunday started with a walk with the dogs. Then I wrapped my SIL's birthday present. You will recognize it as MammoTulips in my photo stream. Headed over to her house to wish her a happy birthday and "encourage" her to stop working for a few hours and enjoy life for her birthday. A couple of glasses of champagne, pizza and cupcakes later, I think she could say she had a good time.

Before the festivities, we went off to Petco where I was able to buy a dog backpack for Thomas. I learned on Cesar Millan that this should "give a dog a job" and help make them better walkers and less anxious. I couldn't wait to try it when I got home. I put it on Thomas and it fit perfectly. He didn't fight it at all but rather seemed to enjoy it! I put two bottles of water in and off we went. It really worked. His anxious panting stopped and he only pulled sometimes. Smokey walked along as usual. Then came the big challenge. We rounded a corner and two Akita-looking dogs were running loose. I tried to fortify my positive energy and walk confidently through this. The dogs ran up to us. Smokey pulled forward first, then Thomas. So strong. I tried to stay calm and say "Sit" and "No" in a calm, assertive manner. One dog ran up to Smokey and they sniffed each other. The other ran straight to Thomas and they started to fight "Rahr, rahr, rahr" mouth to mouth. The other dog rolled down on its back and was holding Thomas with its paws. I pulled back on Thomas and the other dog slid with us along the road. We were now in the middle of the street. I tried to keep my calm and the other dog finally let go. No yelps or squeals and neither dog got hurt or bitten. The other dog got up, sniffed at Thomas's privates and then both dogs took off. Thomas barked for a while as I tried to get him back under control. Some people came out of their house and asked if I was alright and I said yes. I didn't feel like I was ever in danger. I know I am safe with my dogs and the others didn't seem interested in me. I told them I also thought the dogs were fine and asked them if the other dogs were theirs. They said no and they hadn't ever seen them before. Me either. We continued our walk home. Disaster averted. When we got home, I looked at Thomas again and there were no bite marks and he didn't seem any worse for the wear.

On Monday morning, we tried the back pack again. Nice walk. Smokey, always a good walker, on or off leash actually added a new twist to his walk. Along the sidewalk, many bushes often intrude making it difficult to walk one person and two dogs wide. My legs are all bruised up where the dogs have tried to squeeze through ahead of me. Smokey finally got the idea that I should go ahead and he should drop behind at those points. Very nice and no new bruises today.

Next came Quigong and a million errands - supplies for the ATW event on Friday, pick up the proceeds from last week's event, grocery shopping, etc. And then a little visit with my babies - poor things, sick with some stomach virus. I felt so badly for them.

And now, we have reached Tuesday morning and I have got to get started on another busy day. So much to do and always behind. No new letting go news. Too busy for any cleaning at the moment but, don't worry, I will get back to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home