www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The countdown to surgery

Today, my surgery got a little closer. After downing 15 glasses of water yesterday and another 10 this morning, I headed off to the Red Cross to give my pint of blood that will be used for my surgery. This might seem like an easy task for most people but for me, it is one more trauma to my poor left arm with its depleted veins. Before, I could give blood, I was required to read two long pages describing what would be done to me and the required tests (HIV, STD, West Nile Virus) that will be run on my (and everyone's) blood. Should you refuse to sign the form giving your release for them to do these tests, then they will not take your blood.

Next, I met with a nurse who took my history and then stuck me with a finger stick to get my blood and check my hematocrit. By the way, those finger sticks HURT! It is more painful than getting an IV as far as I am concerned. Next she checked for the percentage of red blood cells to plasma. The lower limit is 32 to be able to give blood. At first she said mine was too low which sent me into a minor panic. Then she shook the tube again or did some other manipulation and decided I was at 33 and could give blood after all. Whew! Another hurdle crossed.

Finally, I made it to the chair. It was a very high, reclining chair - made so that the most blood possible rushes to your arms. The nurse put a very tight blood pressure cuff on me to pump up any veins I might have left. She also made me squeeze a rubber thingy. She searched and searched and, at long last found what she thought might be a good vein. The American Red Cross can only take blood from the crook of the arm because the size 16 guage (very big) needles they use need the biggest veins possible which are usually found in that part of the arm - or so I am told. Next came the needle and boy, that needle was big! No kidding! Even without my glasses on I could see the hole in it. It was huge. I thought "that will never go in my vein". Well, surprise! She got it into my vein with just a tiny bit of wiggling. My vein was just barely big enough to hold it. My thin blood though flowed out nice and quickly. I filled my bag in record time according to the nurse. Without a blink, I was able to get up and head off to the holding area for my 15 minute recovery. 2 cups of cranberry juice and a muffin later, I was on my way.

The rest of the afternoon (2hours) was spent going to Michael's for picture frames and walking the dogs with my niece Stacey. Then it was off to painting class where my tired body and mind were rejuvenated by all of the positive energy in the room.

Needless to say, there was no filing done today.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home