www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Best Birthday (Almost) Ever

Since I still have not lived forever, I reserve the right to have better future birthdays. However, this one was great and will definitely be up there in the top 10.

It started the day before when I packed up my car and Smokey Bear (one of my dogs) and headed down to Carmel for some rest and relaxation. The beach, the trees, the wonderful outdoors.

We arrived at the Cypress Inn in Carmel at 1:30 and walked into the lobby to find two of my friends - Cathy and Susan - there waiting for us. Smokey and I got checked in and then headed off to move the car to an all night spot. We got back just in time for Afternoon Tea at 2:00. The Cypress Inn is known for this and it is wonderful. We "took tea" in the beautiful courtyard. Smokey was laying under the table while the three of us enjoyed our tea. Each person got a beautiful tray with their own FULL size teapot and tea bags of our choice. There were also little cucumber and lox sandwiches (no crust), huge scones and 3 cookies on each tray. It was a good thing that I did not eat lunch as this thoroughly filled me up and also raised my sugar levels high enough for me to fly.

After tea, we took a look at the room which was very cute and nicely furnished with 2 twin beds and a dog blanket in case Smokey wanted to sleep on one of the beds. Free bottled water was included as well as a snack bowl of fruit and and honey peanuts. Cream Sherry was also provided free though I didn't have any. On request, I was given dog dishes so that Smokey could have his water and food in the room.

I changed into jeans, a sweater and sandals and we headed off to walk the town. Smokey was very happy walking along with us and going into all of the shops and galleries. Everyone was so nice and he received lots of pets, water and dog cookies everywhere we went. At last, we arrived at the beach and had a good time walking along the water's edge. Evening was coming on and it was beautiful.

My friend Cathy had to go home but Susan decided to stay for dinner. We headed back to the hotel and were surprised to find that the hotel had given me a birthday card and bottle of champagne. I forgot to mention earlier that I also had, almost to myself, my own concierge to take care of Smokey and me during our stay. His name was Andrew and he was 32, tall, single, unattached and good looking and a real sweetie. He found us and told us about the champagne which he proceeded to bring to the lounge where we were sitting and open and pour for us. We had a nice conversation with him and then he made reservations for us at the Forge in the Forest since I wanted steak for dinner.

Well primed with the champagne, we headed off to the Forge in the Forest for dinner. They sat us in the back couryard with the other dogs. Every table had at least one and many had two dogs laying under it. Smokey was pretty tired by then and happy to lay under our table at my feet. The waiter brought him a bowl of ice water which he turned his nose up at and would not touch. The restaurant has a Doggie Menu from which you can order kibble, hamburgers, steaks and other food for your dog. I figured Smokey already had his kibble that I had brought for him and which he had not touched, back in the hotel room. I wasn't spending money to order anything more for him.

We ordered our food and half a bottle of wine and proceeded to enjoy a nice leisurely dinner. Of course, I couldn't finish my steak and handed the remainder to Smokey under the table. He ate it with great delight. For dessert, the waiter brought me a chocolate sundae with a candle in it for my birthday.

We headed back to the hotel and Susan left for home. Smokey and I were now on our own. We went into the bar where there were 5 dogs packed into close quarters. One even stepped over where Smokey was lying to get by. Smokey growled a little at that but settled when I told him to. I think I might have growled too. It was such a surprise. Having had enough alcohol and sugar for the day, I settled for a Cafe Mocha (Starbuck's watch out) and chatted with the other people in the bar. A wierd older guy tried to pick up on me so I told him my name was Victoria, like the Queen and when he didn't get the hint, I left. Back in my room, I poured myself another glass of champagne from the bottle that Andrew had left there and read the nice note that he had written to "Cathy and friend" after his talk with us. Boy, I could get used to having someone like him around. Smokey still wanted to go out so I took the champagne down to the Great Room and sat in front of the fire place while I finished my glass. By then, it was time for bed.

My birthday dawned nice and early at 5:30AM. By 6:30, I was up and out of the door with Smokey, headed for the beach. We walked all the way to the end where I let him off leash to run. He had to check out every seaweed pile, which, from his following actions, I am guessing every other dog on the beach had also checked out. He then ran to a sandpile and started digging and excitedly threw himself down and rolled all around in it. Wondering what the interest was, I went to check it out and saw that he had found a dead seagull and was rolling all over it. EWWWWWW!!!!! I called him off and it seems the seagull was already dead enough and covered with sand enough that he didn't get all smelly from it. Thank goodness!

After about 2 hours, we headed back to the hotel for continental breakfast which was included in the room charge. It was another fabulous spread - bagels, pastries, fresh fruit and, of course, tea. We sat in the courtyard and I ate until I almost burst. Smokey enjoyed half a cinnamon muffin but turned his nose up at the fruit (which he usually likes).

After packing up and checking out, we headed into town again and visited some more galleries and shops for about 3 hours. We went to Diggity Dog where they sell everything for dogs including dog strollers (just wierd). Smokey surprised me by lifting his leg in the store and peeing on a basket of soft toys. This is from a dog that never even had to be house trained. I am guessing that the excitement and smells just got too confusing for him and he forgot where he was. The sales girl was very nice and said it happens quite a lot. I was humiliated. Now I had to buy something so found some dog cookies that Thomas could also enjoy when we got home.

Finally we walked back down to the beach so that we could enjoy the sand and surf one more time. Our last stop was watching some Plein Air painters doing some beautiful work overlooking Carmel Bay. I enjoyed speaking with them and was surprised that they not only knew of, but were friends with my teacher.

We went back to the car where Smokey eagerly jumped into the back seat and lay right down. He slept all the way home. I think he was very tired but he never once complained and , unlike many of my other travel companions, never got tired of walking. He was always ready to go with me.

After coming home, saying hello to Thomas and having a shower, I headed off to Olive Garden where I had a truly awesome dinner with my family. Most of them made it which was surprising considering that it was early in the evening on a weekday and a work day. I was very happy to see so many faces at the table. We ate, drank and made very merry. At the end, the waiters brought me an ice cream sundae with a candle on it and everyone sang happy birthday!

It was the perfect end to a perfect birthday.

My sister came over to my house after and we shared more wine and relaxed watching tv before I drifted off to sleep with a happy smile on my face.

1 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Rich said...

SOrry to have missed your birthday Cathy!! It sounds like oyu had a great time. Angelica and I wish you the best. We send big hugs for you and all those who love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home