www.flickr.com

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

what's up

So, first of all, I would like to know why my last post is in my "Edit Posts" file but does not appear on my blog. It was posted on Jan. 9th.

Next, on to the purpose of this blog.

Just talking to myself, as usual and quite proud of the fact that now I have walked the dogs for 14 days straight/ 1/2 hour each day. 5AM on workdays and about 7:30AM on weekends. The dogs are just reveling in it. They have been walked all of their lives but not too regularly (except for Smokey the first two years of his life). What prompted this now? Well, last Oct I was sent on an assignment 2 hours from home (4hrs commute/day). This threw my whole schedule out of whack. No more painting. No more walking the dogs. No more exercise. No more lunches with friends. Just work, commute, sleep - maybe a little TV.

The net result of that was as 10lb weight gain, unhappy dogs eating up my house and a very achy body from lack of exercise. I so looked forward to Christmas/New Year's when I would have 3 weeks off and be able to catch up a bit on the exercise.

As it turned out, I was on vacation in LA/LV for 2 weeks and the dogs went off to camp. My friends, being of like mind, were very helpful in getting me out on walks, to the gym, etc. That was a good start. I got back home Christmas Day and the doggies came home 3 days later, all tired out from camp and settled. That seemed like a good time for me to start them on their new morning routine (and me, too). It was cold in the morning - about 32 degrees.

Where did I draw my inspiration from? My friend Lorraine and her dog Sydney. Lorraine lived in Aspen where it is very cold, snowy and icy in the winter time. In spite of that, she got a dog, knowing full well that she would need to take her out a few times each day which meant bundling up and going out into the cold. I figured if Lorraine could do that, then certainly I could walk mine once daily under somewhat less adverse conditions. Now, whenever I don't feel like rising in the morning, I just picture the snow and ice and it gets me going. The dogs have been much more content (which was to be expected - dogs should walk) and I also am reveling in the early morning peace and quiet and am so much more awake and have more energy when I am off to work.

The dog walking was only the beginning. I had to start back on Jan 5th with the same client, meaning the same 2 hr each way commute. However, I was determined not to have the achy body and unhappy dogs. I continue to get up at 5AM each morning to walk them for 1/2 hour and then get ready and head off to work. Because of the walking, I have a bit more energy when I get home and also get home a little earlier so can make it to Curves most days. That gives me 1 hour/day. On the weekends, as luck would have it, our coach for Dragon Boat, who is a personal trainer has donated her time every Saturday for a personal training session (1 hr + cool down) and then I have the 2 hours of walking the dogs at the shelter. Sunday brings 1 1/2 hours of yoga. Needless to say, my body has been very achy - diaphragm, glutes, quads, arms - as it trys to bring itself back to health.

I think that I crossed a threshhold this morning as I am not totally and completely achy, just slightly. The really good thing is that, even with the aches and pains, I have felt very loose and not stiff for the last week or so, despite the long hours in the car, at work and on the train, so the exercise is defintely helping.

Have not lost more than 2 lbs yet but I am sure that is coming. Really want to get the 10lbs off and then start working on the 20 I put on at the last assignment. That should about bring me down to my post-C, pre-return to work weight and I should be in good shape to boot.

All of this sounds good now but it is just one day at a time. The motivation and inspiration that started it all was the dogs of course (along with thoughts of Sydney and Lorraine) and hopefully they will be what keeps me going.

Oh and I got a Wii and WiiFit. It is totally fun even though I haven't been able to use it much yet. Just hooked it up on Sunday but was thrilled to find that my Wii age is 32years old. WooHooo! Thanks to yoga since much of the determination is made on balance and agility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home