www.flickr.com

Monday, June 23, 2008

Decluttering

Decluttering of the garage seems to be a much more pleasant and rewarding task than decluttering of the study. Two weekends have been spent on that endeavor with the result that many cardboard boxes have been "let go" of and sent to recycling. It is sad to say but, for some reason, I had a real attachment to these boxes. Over the years, I kept thinking that I would use them to wrap a gift, store something or put the original objects back into them for packing and moving. None of that happened. Rather, the boxes kept building up to the point that every spare space in the garage was filled with empty boxes. Most of those boxes have now journeyed off to the recycling center or are now in the recycling bin waiting on the next pickup. There are still more that are still occupying space but they are only waiting for their own turn at the recycling bin.

On an even scarier thought, below the boxes and buried in the gardening section were chemicals that have been shown to be nerve toxins. One was discontinued in 2001 and the other in 2004 yet here they were still in my garage. Thankfully, they were some of the many "chemicals" I had purchased over time with intent to use but had never actually used. It is amazing that I had 4 bottles of that stuff (nearly 1 gallon) that I had obviously purchased at 3 separate points in time, not realizing that I already owned the same toxic substance. How scary is that? Two of the bottles, along with old paint, batteries and roof tar all went off to the hazardous waste dump this weekend. I breathed a big sigh of relief to know that I had detoxified my garage - or so I thought. As I was going through the shelves, breaking down cardboard boxes and re-arranging the gardening items so that I would know what I have, I found the other two bottles. They will have to wait until July 19th for disposal since that is the next toxic dump day. I have put them aside in the farthest corner away from the house until the time that they, too, can go join their counterparts in what I hope is a safer place.

I also found another box of books that was meant to go off to the book recycling with the last batch that I took out last week. They were also buried under unused cardboard boxes. Being that they are all softbacks, they can go into the paper recycling bin once it has been dumped and there is room. Other than the remaining empty boxes, it looks like there are only 3 full boxes and one trunk left to go through in order to complete the decluttering process of the garage. Sounds simple but, if you look at it, there is still a fair amount to do to accomplish this. Still, I am hopeful that the next round will do it and I can move the lounge chair out to the garage and start using my treadmill in the living room. Not the best furniture, I know but, hay! It is a small house.

The amazing thing is that the decluttering of the garage must have released space for some of the energy in the house because the house does not seem as crowded even though I have not removed anything else from there.

Besides the garage, it was a wonderful weekend of sunshine, yoga, errands, errands, errands and a visit with my angels. They left me with a wonderful message and hope in my heart.

Party plans continue with the guest list approaching 80. Two of the invitees (a couple) have not responded to the invite, my emails or phone calls - strange. I am sincerely hoping and believing that they are okay but the silence is a bit scary. I still need to take care of the flower situation and the guest book, make any final alterations to my dress and figure out the jewelry. Oh, and the music, choosing my songs so that the DJ can guide us down the right road. I am trying my best to finish up by June 30 so that I don't stress and panic in July but just seems like these last bits keep hanging out there. And July is jam packed with Doctors appts., Driver's Licence renewal (yes, I have to make an appearance in DMV this year) and various other items that require my attention in addition to work. No wonder my tummy has been a little nervous recently. Getting centered and completing these tasks are important to my well-being now.

And, as always, I am grateful. Grateful for the sunshine, grateful that I am able to plan a party and fortunate to be able to perform these tasks, grateful for my health and that of my family, pets and friends, grateful that I can still drive a car and grateful for the full and blessed life that has been given to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home