www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sweet Memories

Sometimes space clearing (decluttering) has its own surprises and some turn out to be real gems. Last night, for some crazy reason, I felt the urge to go see what was in the 3 boxes and trunk that are left in the garage. They have been there for 11 years untouched and probably in the storage room for another 9 years before that - at least some of it. There was much water damage and some funky mold smell but some of it was well-wrapped and still looking good.

2 of the boxes didn't hold anything worthwhile. One was just a gathering of items I had put out to give away or sell over the years - candle stands, candy dish, puppet, dog-bark deterrents (which work for many but not on my own cast-iron-neck pup), water bottles given at various events, a scale (the kind you stand on to weigh - yeah.......)

The other box didn't look like much. Lots of papers that I thought were probably old bills or something of that nature. Most of it was - and was sent off to shredder-land. However, some weren't. There were lots of old letters and cards. As I read some of them randomly, I was taken back to a time before email, IM, blogging and the like. People actually wrote cards, postcards and letters. One card just read, "wish you were here last night. We went down to the U-district and.........." It took me back........ Sorry folks, but email just doesn't do that. There was another letter from my Mom when I started my first job after school. She was asking questions about the job and then telling me of my older brother's efforts to become an electrician (which he did successfully), my younger brother working with my Dad and other family news as well as a list of dates when they would be up skiing so that I could join them........Wow! I had forgotten many of those things.....

And, then the photos. How they made me laugh and remember. There was one of me at my first job with the group there - all of whom I still remember - wearing out Lab shirts and looking so young - AND TAN - and thin. And the wallets from my college graduation in the 80s with the BIG hair~ Photos of my god children when they were young.

And, inside the trunk, my old jewelry box - smelling moldy and probably not retrievable although, as I looked at it, I realized what a good jewelry box it had been - much better than anything I currently own. Not much in there but there was an intact USC pin with Snoopy on it that I will certainly wear, a crystal cross that I have no idea where it came from but it is nice and several of the black and white scotch Scotty dog pins! I also found an old tin frog that clicks really loudly - and scared the H... out of the dogs when I clicked it at them. And, the driver's licenses - what better way to see the changes over the years........

Finally, it was time to go to bed. I put back the bags that I hadn't made it through to save for another day. Probably, most of it will find its way to the trash or recycling bins but first, I will get one last bit of enjoyment out of the tidbits that I find there. Just one trunk and one box left now........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home