www.flickr.com

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Update

Wow! Is it already the 27th? The last few days are all a blur. Christmas eve was fun christening my sister's new billiards room. Lots of good food and family. I had a great time playing PacMan which was my Mom's gift. She almost didn't get to bring it home. I just love that game.

On Christmas, I woke up feeling quite satisfied and peaceful. The dogs were content and we all just hung out while I downed Advil to try and get rid of my migraine. Later in the afternoon, I went over to Susan's for some nice Christmas dinner. A few days earlier, I had been reflecting on the last 9 months and all of my family members who had been great supports each in their own way and who had shared in the tears and laughter. Yes there were some funny times. I decided to write a toast to my family listing each one separately and a few of the things they had done to support me over the last year. There would never have been enough time to list and read everything. I started off Christmas dinner by reading the toast and was surprised when I looked up to see everyone in tears (despite the fact that there were many laughs during the toast). It was a very emotional time for me and for everyone else.

The dinner was wonderful and we followed it up with a trip to see Christmas lights.

It was a rainy day and when I got home and opened the garage door, my oldest dog came running out to meet me. I immediately new something was wrong and thought the worst. And rightfully so. He had chewed and clawed his way through the outside garage door. Molding was ripped from the stucco and the bottom of the door was destroyed. Why he did all of this is a mystery since his dog door was open and he could easily have gone through it into the house. The best I can guess is that the rain caused another panic attack and he was looking for a safe place. I was furious and upset but what could I do. I got busy and nailed a panel to the door to keep out the rain, raccoons and any would-be intruders and called my Dad to see if he could help me out with it the next day. Did I mention this was a solid wood door?

It rained furiously that night and Smokey started having another of his panic attacks. I put the metal wire crate in my room next to the bed and put him in it or I would never have gotten any sleep worrying about him going in the computer room or destroying something else. He didn't like it and cryed and pawed for a while but then settled down and went to sleep. Needless to say, my sleep was disturbed and I didn't get a good night's sleep.

The day after Christmas dawned bright and sunny - thank goodness. I got my self dressed and prettied up (that one is for you Rich) and went off to my date. Well, ever have one of those days where all goes wrong? Welcome to my life. I got going a little late but still with enough time. Made it to the right turn off but then what? I had no idea where I was going. Some mall in San Jose. Do you know how many malls are on Blossom Hill Road? A lot. I turned into the wrong one. Day after Christmas traffic. Packed. I realized I was in the wrong place and made it to the other side and onto Blossom Hill. At long last, I saw the right mall and drove in. The place I wanted to go was to the left but I could not turn left due to the valet parking. Had to turn right. The choice was then to go into the parking structure or drive all the way around the mall. Traffic was at a standstill so I entered the parking structure. Soon it came to a standstill there too. There was nothing I could do but wait. Finally, I got a parking spot and ran across the mall to meet my date. I was 20 minutes late and he was gone. I was bummed and a little perturbed. He knew that I didn't know where it was and that there was a lot of traffic. Could have waited. Who chooses a date in a mall the day after Christmas anyway? I am trying to keep an open mind and chill but........

I drove home and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening with my Dad repairing the door. Thank goodness for Dad!

Today was more work on the door - sanding, priming, spackling - and not finished yet. Also, replaced a molding in the house he had chewed up and sanded and spackled the various doors and moldings he had scratched and chewed in other panic attacks. Tomorrow will be a good day of painting inside and, if the rain holds off, painting the outside of the door. Could have thought up better uses for my time.

Well, that gets us all caught up for now. Hopefully, the week will get better!

1 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Oh cathy!! So sorry to hear about your date. I agree he should have waited and waited and waited. I would have waited. I sure hope that he has a good excuse and I hope that he picks a better location next time. Humm....Yup, the mall is a crappy place to make a good first impression. Who has a date in a mall? That is the lamest idea ever!! Wheres the romance? What kind of impression did he hope to make in a mall. Maybe Im just old fashion, but I think a first date should be something to always remember. It should be something interesting and fun. Thats just me. Big hug for you and a kiss on the nose!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home