www.flickr.com

Friday, June 02, 2006

Bizarre Dog Experience

Tonight when I got home, the dogs were waiting there to greet me as usual. I went back to the bedroom to change and do laundry and Smokey followed me as usual. That is when things got funny. I noticed he had crawled under the bedside table and could hear the sounds of chewing bone which sound like rocks since the bones I buy them are extra hard. How strange I thought. He doesn't usually do that. He scooted out and started chewing on the table leg while I could still hear the sound of the bone and he was snorting funny like he couldn't breathe. This was all bizarre since he never chews on the furniture. I made him stop and he laid there with his head at a funny angle. I started to get really worried and called him over. He got up and walked over and laid down on his rug. Again I heard the bone sounds and he started snorting again and gagging. I couldn't figure out what was going on and where were those bone sounds coming from. I couldn't see any bone.

I opened his mouth and realized that he had one of his hard bones wedged crosswise across the roof of his mouth and stuck between his back teeth. It was stuck in there good. I reached in and tried to pull it out but was hampered by two things. One, it was really wedged in good and two, it was so far back that my hand was causing a gag reflex which was causing him to bite down on my hand. No blood was drawn but still it was uncomfortable for me and must have been for him too. I tried several times but just could not get it free. He was really rubbing his nose on everything and snorting and I was getting worried.

Even though it was 11:30 at night, I thought I have to get this dog to the emergency room to get this thing out so I hustled him into the car where he started rubbing on the seats and window. I told him to stop and was driving as fast as I safely could to get to the vet. Suddenly I heard something drop and was hoping it was the bone. I turned into a gas station and sure enough, he had finally gotten it loose and dropped it. He wouldn't touch or go near it. I am guessing it was as much a scare for him as it was for me. That bone will be going into the garbage.

And that is what I do for excitement. How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home