www.flickr.com

Monday, November 28, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm back after a relaxing hiatus. So much has happened. Where do I start?

First of all, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving! The Smithwick family and all spouses and childern were there except Mom and Dad and we were fortunate enough to have grandma from the Fisher side there as well. The food was varied and delicious. I made chocolate, pumpkin cheesecake which was a hit even with the babies. I had a piece on my plate and Riley, my 18-month old niece came over to me and said, "up" which meant she wanted me to pick her up. Foolishly, I thought she wanted to snuggle with her aunt Cathy but she had other things in mind. Once on my lap, she took her fork (which she had brought with her) and stabbed the biggest piece of cheesecake and, to everyone's surprise, stuffed the whole thing in her mouth and ate it. My plate was now empty so she wanted down and went off in search of other treasures. The evening was topped off with my nephew, Steven, playing "I'll Be Home For Christmas" on the guitar. It was a wonderful day and I am so thankful that all of the "kids" were there to enjoy it. Just wish Mom and Dad could have been there as well.

I also brought along my first painting which I had completed on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday, I went to Michael's to find a frame and was fortunate enough to have the one I chose be on sale for half price. I was trying to figure out how to keep the painting in the frame and thought I would ask the framing guy for advice. He started to give me some and then said just a minute and took the painting and the frame into the back room where I heard the sounds of an air stapler - pop, pop, pop........... Soon, he came out and handed the framed painting to me - no charge. I thanked him profusely, thanked my lucky stars for people like him, paid and left the store. It was nice to be able to show the painting to my family. Susan and Stace really liked it. I am looking forward to painting more.

Friday dawned bright and sunny and I was relaxing after Thanksgiving when the phone rang and it was my younger brother, Jim. He was coming over to do some work on my house. What a great brother! He changed my faucet in the master bathroom so that I no longer have to go through the drip, drip, drip of chinese water torture every evening. Then, we went over to Susan's for him to do some work there and have a few drinks with Bill and Susan. My SIL Debbie came over with her son, Steven and Jim's son, Eric and we had another nice dinner. Debbie, Susan and I retreated to the living room to "plot" out Debbie's quilt. It was fascinating for me to watch since I have never seen the background of quilt making - only the finished product.

Saturday evening, my friend Diane picked me up and we drove over to Santa Cruz to visit one friend there and then go to our friend, Susan's party and meet her new boyfriend. It was a fun party with very nice and friendly people. I enjoyed it.

Sunday came along at last and I just hung out making a "Cancer Journey" tape with some of the tv shows that were particularly interesting, helpful or inspiring while I was going through surgery and chemo. I cried when I watched the Melissa Etheridge special and especially when she sung, "This is Not Goodbye" about her travels into the chemo haze. It reminded me of my own trips to chemo world - trips that are only made alone - in which you leave your family, friends and the normal world behind. Your mind and brain disappear into the haze leaving you unaware of what is happening around you and forgetting what happened only seconds before. Reading and tv viewing are impossible much less anything more complicated like having a conversation. My dogs were feeling so lucky because I couldn't even remember if I had fed them and would keep feeding them just so they wouldn't go hungry. The only reason I knew I ate myself was because I set a schedule and ate breakfast when I got up, lunch at 12 noon and dinner at 6 pm. I knew if it was 6, I had to get up and eat my dinner, even if I didn't remember eating by 6:30. At least I knew I had done it. My friend, Kathy, called me once in the chemo haze and told me later that she doubted if I even knew what I was saying. I barely even remembered the call and there were others I don't remember at all. Anyway, the song reminds me of that time and makes me cry because it is so meaningful and right on about my experience.

This morning, I went back to my "job" - radiation. Had to meet with Dr. McDreamy first so he could check out my armpit (eat your heart out all you romantics) and give me the okay to continue. The radiation techs told me that my skin was looking really good! I was also met with enthusiastic thanks for the chocolate pumpkin cheesecake I brought them for Thanksgiving the week before. Today, I brought the recipe and they were all so excited, they made copies for everyone as they continued to rave. Dr. McDreamy came out in the midst of this and said how much he loved the cheesecake, not knowing I had made it. The techs told me that he ate most of it and he agreed but they said that everyone else did get a piece. I was glad they liked it. They work so hard and deserve it.

Afterword, I dropped by Target and bought the Melissa Etheridge cd and some shelves for the house. Then I hung my painting in my study where I can look at it often. Also, hung a few other paintings that had been waiting months to get hung and did some cleaning up - not much, but some. Looks like I might be getting some of my motivation back. I certainly hope so as there is a lot of work that needs to be done around here.

That should get me all caught up to today. Maybe a boring read but was certainly a "good feeling" weekend for me.

1 Comments:

At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Cathy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home