www.flickr.com

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

You can all thank me for the sun today!

Today was a good day. I got up this morning, ate my breakfast, showered and dressed - just like every day. But that is not the good part.

I got into my car (The Sebring, not my *sob* soon to be crushed Capri) and drove over to Hayward to Kaiser Hayward. That is not the good part either.

I only got lost 3 times on the way - once while trying to find my way into the parking lot. That is not the good part either.

Here it comes. Are you ready for this? This is the good part so if you aren't in the mood for something good, then stop reading now.

I saw my new Plastic Surgeon to talk about DIEP flap reconstruction. I was so nervous. She asked a lot of questions and listened attentively and sympathetically to my answers. She listened patiently to my questions, answered them all and then asked if I had more. There was none of that arrogance that I had become accustomed to when talking to Plastic Surgeons. She explained to me that the only kind of reconstruction she does now are DIEP flaps and that she loves doing them and I could see the gleam in her eye as she said it. She carefully explained the the risks and concerns and then related them to my specific case and then, she said the words I was holding my breath to hear. I was a good candidate for this type of reconstruction and that she would put me on the calendar for June! Yippee! I was so excited. She also said that she was going to speak with my surgeon and oncologist to check on the schedule for me getting all of my follow up tests for the rest of my body just to make sure there was no metastasis due to the serious nature of my cancer. That means more CT scans for my whole body this time and chest xrays and blood tests, etc. etc. etc. but I don't care, I can get my reconstruction! No more crying under the blankets in the middle of the day! (The dogs are jumping with joy).

Of course, there is still the small issue of the suspect shadow on my left breast and discovering whether it is cancer or not. The tests continue on that one and it will have to be resolved before making a decision on the reconstruction. The good news is that, if I decide to have the other breast removed, my surgeon can come to Hayward and do it at the same time as the reconstruction, or, if she is too busy, there is another breast surgeon there who I know and trust from my previous ventures on the other breast. So, I am feeling comfortable all the way around.

She told me that I definitely have enough tummy fat for one breast and, if I want two, have enough for two B cups. I asked her if that was two that are the size of the one I have now and she said, yes, or slightly smaller but not bigger. I said that was good since I didn't want bigger but was quite happy with what I had and would like the same, thank you very much, in the new pair. I asked her about what would happen if I lost 5 - 10 lbs and she said they would be a little smaller but still B's. She told me not to lose 30 lbs though. Yahoo! that was good to hear since it seems to take me about 2 years to lose 5 lbs but I am hoping to reduce that to 2 months and know that there probably isn't a snowball's chance in hell of me losing 30 this year.

We also discussed the option if I had one done and ended up with breast cancer in the other in the future. She said that we can't go back to the belly but that she could take from my butt or thigh. Well, I would like to keep my butt but she could take some of that wobble from my thigh. Anyway, there is an option for the future should I need it.

So, all was good and just need to figure out what is happening with the other breast before June rolls around.

So, you see, that is why the sun was shining today despite the weatherman's predictions that it would be poring rain again. I was so happy that my energy just brought out the blue skys and sunshine. :D

As for the poring rain we are experiencing as I write this, I am not responsible! Hey, my happiness couldn't hold the weather up forever, could it!

Anyway, all joking aside, I am so happy to have found this doctor and so happy all went well and so happy to have reconstruction set for June! WooHooo!

2 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, I just couldn't be happier for you. Do you need any of my tummy fat? Am willing to help.
--Beth

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Seajade said...

Thanks Beth! Would love to accept your help but have been well blessed myself in that area (too well blessed? :D ) At least for the time being and don't have to worry about losing that last 20 lbs just yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home